Monday, May 30, 2011

MLB Mock 3.0

With the draft a week away I decided to do my 3rd mock. San Diego is looking really good and has 5 of the first 58 picks in the draft. 




#10 overall
Acquired: As consumption for failing to sign RHP Karsten Whisten

My Pick: RHP Sonny Gray





This is likely the pick as the Padres have displayed public intrest in Gray and Uconn RHP Matt Barnes. He has a nasty slider (almost as good as Gregerson'd), pinpoint control of his curveball, and a 93-96 MPH fastball.  He is 6'1'' and would be a tremendous pick. Barnes or Springer may go here. Latos-Kelly-Gray-Castro-Purke would be a rotation that would make players see SD on the calender and so darn, they will be a tough team. His delivery reminds me of Mike Adams, and he could be a Zach Greinke type pitcher. 

What a 1-4!
Bonus: 4.5 million




#25 overall:

My Pick: LHP Matt Purke
Purke is an incredibly interesting pick as he was drafted by the Rangers, 33rd overall, and did not sign in 2008 and went to college. He was going as high as 3rd overall to the D-Backs until he hurt his arm. His draft stock fell and he has been going in the supplemental round in most mocks. I value him a lot as you can see. He could be a David Price type player and is a stud. He is extremely high risk-high reward. Gray-Purke-Latos-Kelly-Castro could be historically good! 

Bonus: 1 million



#48 overall:
Acquired: Received as consumption for not signing Jon Garland



My Pick: CF Jackie Bradley Jr.

He is another player who's draft stock has fallen and is a 5-tool OF and reminds me of Shane Victorino.  He would be huge value if he is available and could be a solid leadoff hitter. I like him here but not at 25.
If Swihart is available here I'd snag him though.


#54 overall:
Acquired: Received as consumption for not signing Yorvit Torriealba

My Pick: 3B Josh Tobias


Tobias has power-speed potential at SS, 3B, 2B, or CF. He could be a .290 27 HR 30 SB player in his prime. At worst he could be a decent utility man. I really want us to draft this kid. He would be the best fit for SD if he plays second or short


#58 overall:
Acquired: Received as consumption for not signing Kevin Corriea

My Pick: RHP Micheal Kelly


Did you notice what ballpark that is? Yes, he is warming up at PETCO for the Aflac-All-Star high school game. He is a high upside high school pitcher that reminds me of Matt Garza.  He throws 95 MPH and is only 5 years older than me! He would have tremendous value and likely be a solid pitcher. He was made for San Diego.


No comments:

Post a Comment