These moves do have some interesting effects on the dynamics of the team:
- Tony Sipp did not opt out of his contract after being informed that he would not make the team, but he could still leave if he finds himself with an opportunity to join a major league bullpen or if he chooses to leave on June 1st.
- Patrick Schuster was claimed off waivers by the Royals, who proceeded to return him to Arizona. The move was designed to create a reason to designate outfielder Carlos Peguero for assignment and try to sneak him through waivers after major league rosters are set.
- The addition of Adam Moore provides depth at catcher in two scenarios:
- Rene Rivera does not make the team and is waived and claimed.
- Rene Rivera makes the team, and is not the catcher at El Paso.
- This could be if the team carries three catchers or if the team places Yasmani Grandal on the disabled list to start the season.
- Jeff "Frenchy" Francoeur, a minor league signing, carries minimal risk. The 30-year old hit just .204 with three home runs in 245 at bats last season, but he has a plus plus arm and a career .264/.306/.419 line while averaging 18 home runs over every 162 games. He will provide valuable depth in the minor leagues, and with Carlos Quentin's spotty injury history, we could see him in San Diego at some point this season.